Dedicated Attorney Assists Clients with Legal Separation in Nebraska

Experienced family lawyer represents spouses seeking to separate in the Lincoln area

In certain situations, a couple may wish to live apart but not want to terminate their marriage. In other circumstances, although at least one of the parties resides in Nebraska, he or she has not yet satisfied the one-year residency requirement that must be met in order to maintain a divorce action seeking a legal dissolution of a marriage. In Nebraska, it is possible to initiate a court proceeding that does not seek to dissolve the marriage, but which instead seeks what is known as a legal separation.. Legal separation involves a court-approved agreement between spouses that outlines how marital assets and responsibilities will be divided without having to dissolve the marriage, and that can also provide for child custody and division of parenting time, child support, and spousal support. If you and your spouse have a broken relationship but you are not ready or willing to divorce, Roger P. Cox PC LLO can provide you with skilled representation to protect your rights and those of your children in a separation agreement. I assist clients in the Lincoln area and throughout Nebraska seeking an alternative to divorce.

Nebraska counselor advises on separation versus divorce

While separation and divorce are similar in some ways, the marriage is not ended in a legal separation. For some couples, this is the best option for their situation. Reasons to choose a separation over a dissolution of marriage may include:

  • Personal or religious beliefs
  • Matters pertaining to children
  • Financial concerns
  • Medical benefits or other benefits
  • Chance for reconciliation

Choosing between a legal separation and a divorce can be a difficult decision, but I can provide you with knowledgeable advice and advocacy so you can make the right choices for your individual circumstances.

Skilled family advocate guides clients through separation agreements

To ensure that your rights, assets and children are protected when you separate, I can draft a sound agreement that may cover a range of relevant issues:

  • Asset and property division — Dividing the marital property can be an emotional and complicated process. In many cases, issues arise as to whether some assets may be the separate nonmarital property of one party or are marital property that must be considered in the property division process. A knowledgeable attorney can make this process easier.
  • Payment of marital debts — Many couples owe money on their home, their cars, credit cards, or for other debts. I will assist you in the process of apportioning these debts, as well as medical debts and other loans.
  • Spousal support — A breakup shouldn't unfairly disadvantage spouses who decide to separate. Depending on the financial circumstances of each spouse, support may be negotiated or ordered by a judge.
  • Child custody — Determining where children should live, who should make decisions about their lives and when relatives can visit them is often an emotionally fraught process. I will work with you to reduce the conflict surrounding these issues and work hard to achieve an agreement that is best for the children.
  • Child support — Both parents are expected to contribute to the costs of raising their children. This often means that the higher-earning (and often noncustodial) parent must make payments to the other to care for children. Whether you and your child's other parent can reach an agreement on support or the court makes that determination, I will help you to secure payments that are fair and beneficial to children.

As an experienced family law lawyer, I understand the difficulties of moving on from a relationship, especially when children are involved. If you are choosing to separate rather than divorce, I will guide you through the process while providing the advice and advocacy you deserve.

Contact a determined Nebraska family lawyer for advice on legal separation

If you wish to pursue a legal separation in Nebraska, Roger P. Cox PC LLO can provide the guidance you need. Call my Lincoln office at 402-782-4264 or contact me online to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.


Office Location